Valencia College is now hiring Learning Assistants II - HR0324 (Math)-Part Time.
-The Learning Assistant II will be responsible for providing academic assistance, mentoring and learning centered tutoring to any currently enrolled student based upon appropriate assessment of student needs.
1. Provides one on one or small group tutoring to currently enrolled students in a particular discipline.
2. Assesses academic ability of students being tutored using provided measurement instruments.
3. Meets with supervisory staff on a regular scheduled basis to discuss academic progress of students being tutored.
4. Assists supervisor with academic needs assessment.
5. Documents student progress for each session using provided instruments.
6. Implements an academic action plan for each session using provided instruments.
7. Participate in staff development training.
8. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must have evidence of successful completion of college level academic work.
2. A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
3. Must be able to perform all of the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
1. Ability to follow instructions from supervisor and other faculty.
2. Ability to work a variety of hours, which includes nights and weekends.
3. Ability to use computer hardware and software programs related to discipline area.
4. Ability to tutor individuals or small groups of students in advanced coursework.
5. Ability to use appropriate learning techniques/strategies to achieve specific learning outcomes.
6. Ability to communicate and work effectively in a diverse community and meet the needs of diverse student populations.
The Math Center assists students with all levels of math skills. Learning Assistants provide tutoring support for all math students, including help with test corrections, PERT review assistance, and homework. They help students succeed by utilizing a variety of resources such as hands-on manipulatives, various technologies, and group-based study sessions.
In order to meet the needs of Valencia students, the Math Center is comprised of two distinct areas, the Specialized Preparatory Area (SPA) and the Math Support Center (MSC). The SPA caters to entry level math students up through College Algebra. The MSC caters to college level math students from College Algebra up through Differential Equations.
Location: East Campus
Department: Math Tutoring
Salary: $11.64 Per Hour
1) Hours per week may fluctuate based on the needs of the Math Center, up to a maximum of 25 hours.
2) There will be mandatory training meetings that will be held prior to classes starting in the fall and spring terms. Additional monthly meetings will be held during the fall, spring, and summer terms which are generally held on Friday afternoons.
- To apply with your resume and other related documents, click the orange “apply now” button.
- If you choose to apply with LinkedIn, click on the blue “Apply with LinkedIn” button. Please note that committee members will not be able to see your LinkedIn details if your settings are adjusted to private. To allow all committee members access to your LinkedIn information, please make sure that your profile settings are adjusted to “public” to allow your information to be viewable.
- For consideration, all documents must be uploaded at the time of application. This could include: resume, cover letter, all letters of reference, or any other applicable documents related to this position. Once you have completed the application process, no other documents may be uploaded or altered.